Absolute Beginner’s Online Genealogy Experience
Absolute Beginner's Online Genealogy Experience
Includes digital presentation gift certificate and guide download.
We are the only providers of genealogy experiences in the UK and we are turning that knowledge and expertise into a brand new experience for the budding genealogists. It is designed for individuals who would prefer to spend time with a genealogist from the comfort of home.
- It is a four hour one-to-one session with a 30 minute break. There are no groups, just the undivided attention of the genealogist.
- The genealogist will use presentations, graphical images, websites, and screen shares to talk about the methods used to create a family tree.
- The genealogist will guide them through the process of collecting information from family, arranging information, searching for relatives online, using databases, and search methods.
- The gift recipient will be encouraged to use their deductive and logical skills (required to be a good family historian!) to understand records with small, fun, practicals.
- In the second half of the session the genealogist will start to work with the gift recipient on their family tree.
- The gift recipient will need to have some computer skills for this session (this is needed anyway if they wish to research their family).
- It is preferable for the gift recipient to have an Ancestry subscription, if possible.
- At the end of the session, they will have knowledge and skills to continue on their own.
Does it cover overseas research?
No, however we can give some general advice about how tackle overseas research.
This Gift Experience is suitable for gift recipients researching in Britain, it does not include overseas research including British citizens born overseas.
If you or the gift recipient has Scottish origins then you will need to purchase credits at ScotlandsPeople in advance of the day.
This is because the Scottish government do not licence their records to third parties and therefore their records cannot be accessed for free at English archives or at other repositories outside of Scotland.
Beginners - those who have never undertaken family tree research. This gift experience starts with the gift recipient and works back through their parents and then their grandparents etc.
Do you have a gift certificate for this session?
Yes. Once you have ordered you will be able to download a presentation certificate with a 15 month after purchase expiry date and guide. This experience will need to be booked and completed within 15 months of the purchase date.
What technology does the gift recipient need for the Absolute Beginner's Online Genealogy Experience?
The gift recipient will need a computer with a webcam and access to Zoom which is free.
What happens after you place an order?
The buyer or the gift recipient should use our Contact Us Form (on this site) to arrange a time slot for their session.